Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicting dpi and printing too small
I've been trying to make something for a while, and ran into some problems that led me needing to take a screenshot of something and then bring the png into GIMP as the starting point for my project. I added some images, then sized and aligned everything to fit the dimensions I need when I print. (The exact dimensions matter as this will be printed on card stock and made into boxes that need to fit in a bigger box.)

I tried printing out test pages, but it came out too small. Part of the problem is that my printer doesn't want to try printing the page size I need (A3), but instead will only print Letter. But this problem led me to looking into dpi, which led me to a different problem.

I click Image > Print Size and see the resolution is 3.78px/mm or 96 dpi.
I click File > Print > Image Settings and see that the resolution is somewhat higher. I try changing the resolution in this dialogue box to see if I can get it to 96 dpi, but it goes to a minimum of 4px/mm or 101.6 dpi, no lower.

My guess is that this disparity between the resolutions is the reason why it's printing too small. Am I right? What can I do about this? How can I get it to print the right size without completely overhauling everything?

Thank you.

Windows 10.0.18362
GIMP 2.10.20 (Revision 1)

Messages In This Thread
Conflicting dpi and printing too small - by Alexras - 09-01-2020, 07:59 PM