Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can gimp Handle Very Large Images (jpg, jpeg)
(09-05-2020, 08:01 PM)theBest Wrote: I have a jpeg image approximately 65,000 pix X 24,000 pix and the file size is almost 79MB.
Last time I tried to load the image in gimp with default settings, I’ve never modified any settings, gimp would become unresponsive.
My computer had 8GB of DDR3 RAM. The OS I was using at the time was Windows 7, Fedora and Linux Mint.
Gimp in all of these had trouble opening the file.

Are there any options in gimp that would improve the way memory is used for the image to load before Christmas?

My primary goal was to divide the image into multiple parts so I could play around with the smaller sized images. I need to preserve the quality of the image as I do this also.
The image is the Great Isaiah scroll from Wikipedia commons.

See Edit>Preferences>System resources>Tile cache size. This is more or less a cap on Gimp's RAM usage, if it needs more memory it starts doing its own swapping to disk. You can of course set this very high but then all the applications will swap. A good number is your RAM size minus whatever is needed for OS and usual apps, like around 6GB or even 7GB on your system. You can also reduce the size of the Undo Stack in the same dialog (levels and RAM). You can also use Edit>Undo history and click the shredder icon to remove undo stack entries and recover the RAM.

On my PC, the file loads in Gimp in a few seconds, and Gimp then uses 1.5GB. Adding layers takes about 500MB of RAM per layer. Tried a Wavelet decompose and it ran in 45 seconds (and Gimp was using 10GB at the end). So  editing that file in 8GB is going to be  a tight fit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can gimp Handle Very Large Images (jpg, jpeg) - by Ofnuts - 09-05-2020, 10:57 PM