Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreground Select - Any Way to Save and Resume Editing Laterme
I have a high resolution and kind of large picture.  It is a panorama  made from several pictures.

I'm trying to use the foreground select to turn the background to alpha.  I thought I had it done, and when I went to preview it a message box popped up saying calculating unknown pixels and the hard drive was active for quite a while and then GIMP crashed.

I think this may have been because the background was basically the sky and I just put my foreground select lines along the edges of where the background and the foreground intersected.  However, it did mask the photo and allow me to use the brush tool, etc.

I thought I'd see if I could do it in stages and do just one corner, but I see the mask extended beyond where I had my Foreground Select lines.  So it doesn't look like that is an option.  I also tried a different picture and did connect all the foreground select lines and had brushed only part of the picture and then saved it.  It  did save, but I could resume editing where I left off.  Maybe I can but I am missing something.

I guess I could use Foreground Select on the individual pictures the panorama is stitched together from.

I'm wondering if there are any good techniques for doing this?

TIA

for what it's worth, I'm running GIMP 2.10.20 on a new install of Linux Mint 20. I installed the new GIMP because I couldn't find the image tool menu on the earlier version when I tried to use the fuzzy select tool.  It is the menu that has feather edges, mask and some other settings.  I couldn't find it on the new version either.  Maybe I just don't know how to display it.

Messages In This Thread
Foreground Select - Any Way to Save and Resume Editing Laterme - by TMORT - 09-21-2020, 05:05 PM