Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Rotate image" causes degradation
(01-14-2021, 01:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: For sharp lines, an even better technique is to create a path with several lines, and then stroke the path in "Line" mode.

Ofnuts, your help is always appreciated!   Yes, the image corruption that occurs with (only) a single rotation is so small as to be unnoticeable.   Which I guess is all that was ever  intended,  Works fine for that purpose. And I'll just leave it at that. My crazy idea to rotate an image multiple times to accomplish an unorthodox goal, is an experience I will gladly leave in the scrap pile.

Funny, but over the many years...."paths" were one thing that I always seemed to shy away from.  Being so robust a function as it is, whenever I'd start reading up on them it always seemed like the concept was more involved than I had time to invest in reading up on. So I just  found more expedient means to accomplish whatever task I had to accomplish at the moment, and resolved that "some day" I will focus on learning "paths".  And then many years just slipped on by.     Big Grin

Regarding the "raster vs vector" dilemma,  it always seemed like a shame to me that an incredible program such as gimp, couldn't have a plugin of some sort that would allow the artist to "bust the grid" and draw Inkscape style. 

So, in just these past couple days....it's been quite an eye opener for me, finally reading-in on "paths", and how to use them. Path  

I think that I'm gonna take advantage of the pandemic induced isolation, and learn more about paths.

On a side note, I've often used the "rotate" function to create layers for gif animations.....creating pane #3 from pane #2....and creating pane #4 from pane #3......etc etc.

Being now aware of the corruption we discussed above, I think I will from this point forward insist upon using pane #1 as the source for all the sequential layers. Just out of an abundance of caution.

Messages In This Thread
"Rotate image" causes degradation - by rickk - 01-13-2021, 10:02 PM
RE: "Rotate image" causes degradation - by Ofnuts - 01-14-2021, 01:32 AM
RE: "Rotate image" causes degradation - by rickk - 01-14-2021, 06:36 PM