Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color issue with old negatives shot with DSLR
I have +100 122 film negatives that my Dad took in the 1920s and maybe 1930s.  I built my own light table and have a Nikon D7000 mounted such that I am shooting them slightly oven the negative size.  They have a washed out appearance and are yellow and somewhat blotchy after I'm done editing.  They are blue from the camera as the film is orange/yellow base.  I'd like them to be more correct B&W and the file size is larger than the original.  I'm running the current Windows version 2.10.22 on a multi-core Xeon workstation with 10 Pro and an uncalibrated Dell 3011 photo editing monitor but it closely matches reference prints and when I print photos on my Epson ET-4750 they match the real world .  My process is:

first prompt is the color profile - I've tried both convert and keep - no obvious difference - I stick with keep
image - transform - rotate if needed
image - transform - arbitrary rotation to get it exactly straight
crop tool - just slightly trim the border and then double-click
colors - auto - white balance
colors - invert
export as a JPG

Thoughts on how to fix the color issue?  Also the export .jpg file is from a 11 MB when the input is 8 MB - not being a photog I thought it would actually be smaller - as expected?

I'd attached before and after files but I'm getting POST errors.  Note that I can dim the LEDs in my light box if that would help.

Messages In This Thread
Color issue with old negatives shot with DSLR - by oldserverguy - 01-17-2021, 03:01 PM