Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resynthesize not appearing in menu
(01-26-2021, 09:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote:  Pays-your-money makes-your-choice as they say Wink

Yeah, you're right. A conventional install wouldn't kill me..

What I should probably do, is install knoppix to a partition on my hard drive, and use that as a laboratory to fix everything that needs to be fixed, and then remaster that onto a flash drive only after I have everything cooperating.

Earlier you mentioned the following, could you please elaborate a little further on the text I have emboldened?:

The latest does use Gimp 2.10.8 which is a bit on the old side, but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency. Many of the latest debian based distros, ubuntu20, mint20 have dropped python 2 as a default in favour of python 3. Usually you can install python 2 from the distro repository but then it depends on if the gimp-python package is there. For resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python

Specifically, when you say ", but strange that it does not have python 2 as a dependency"     Are you saying there appears to be a Python version "missing" in my install, and that you are surprised that the Knoppix people were able to get Gimp working without it's presence? (that's what I think you meant, but just want to be sure)

And then when you say "but then it depends on if the gimp-python package"  Is this package a part of Gimp that interacts with Python, or is it a part of Python  that interacts with Gimp?  I suspect you mean the latter, but not being sure, I'd prefer not to speculate. (I guess I'm pondering the meaning of that hyphen in your word choice) 

And lastly, where you say " resynthesizer the binary plugins show in the Gimp Filters -> Map section. Not affected by the lack of python"  Are you saying that the two *.py  files that you included in "resynth-linux"  (plugin-heal-selection.py, and plugin-heal-transparency.py)  are not specifically needed by the two binaries, but have a separate function?

If these sound petty, I'm sorry, but If I'm going to embark on an elaborate "fix" mission, I'd like to make sure that I am 100%  clear on your intent.

Thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-24-2021, 09:49 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-25-2021, 03:38 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-25-2021, 10:38 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-26-2021, 04:59 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-26-2021, 10:42 PM
RE: Resynthesize not appearing in menu - by rickk - 01-27-2021, 02:49 PM