Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How use a png with a transparent background as a mask
Quote:I am trying to add an arrow pointer onto a picture (and plan to do a lot). I have added a png of the arrow, which I know has a transparent background, to a second layer. I have tried to set it up as a mask, but dont understand the finer details - it just stays as a complete rectangle. NB: Have successfully re-sized it & am trying to rotate it. I am new to GIMP, but IT competent.

Various ways. 
You can add as a layer, and scale / move / rotate the layer. Another arrow requires another layer.

Use a script / plugin to create the arrow. That is probably the most flexible way and generally produces the best results.

Use your png arrow and create a brush. 
Make it black on a white background, set Image -> Mode to Greyscale and export as a somename.gbr to your brushes folder. C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes
Edit: For a greyscale brush the white base is transparent and black takes the FG colour @ 100% opacity. Various grey values result in reduced opacity.

Refresh the brushes (or restart Gimp) and use the new brush as a 'stamp'.  Uses the current FG colour. Some scope for resizing , rotating using the brush tool sliders, but note this can degrade the stamp due to interpolation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How use a png with a transparent background as a mask - by rich2005 - 02-06-2021, 09:08 AM