Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multithread python plug-in?
(02-08-2021, 04:05 PM)ChameleonScales Wrote:
Quote:especially since you only "read" the images

I'm not talking about the same plug-in as in the other thread. The one I'm thinking of here also performs image operations and saves the xcfs.

Quote:Start several parallel shell tasks that will each call Gimp to run your script on one image

That seems like a good plan, although I don't know yet how to run a gimp plug-in script from the terminal (haven't searched yet either). Also, since my plug-in has a dialog with properties that have to be set, I assume I'd have to make the same dialog outside of Gimp using GTK so that the user doesn't have to set the same parameters on each Gimp instance and those settings could be fed in all the instances.
If I can do this it would be quite performant on a beefy machine.

There are simpler ways to ask parameters than a full GTK dialog  in a shell script, for instance using zenity. But as a person who deals with Linux servers all day long, please don't, or at least also allow regular script parameters, because you often want ot run the script with slightly different parameter, and the fastest way is to retrieve the previous command line (cursor up) and edit the parameters, instead of having to reenter all values in "friendly" dialogs.

To call you script from a command prompt, see this exemple.

Messages In This Thread
Multithread python plug-in? - by ChameleonScales - 02-07-2021, 06:46 PM
RE: Multithread python plug-in? - by Ofnuts - 02-07-2021, 08:31 PM
RE: Multithread python plug-in? - by Ofnuts - 02-08-2021, 05:39 PM