Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Open Image" change default folder and thumbnail view?
(08-14-2017, 02:53 AM)Dave001 Wrote: Hi just started using GIMP, and have run into a couple of things that I'm wondering if it's possible to change.

1. Clicking File, Open, brings up the "Open image" window, it always defaults to "Recently Used" and list the last files edited to the right, I'd like it to default to a particular folder. Is this possible?

2. Also in the "Open Image" window, is there a way to have the files shown as thumbnail view instead of list view? Having to click on each file name to see the thumbnail image in the far right of the window is very slow.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

For 1) find your gtkfilechooser.ini. This file exists somewhere, on Linux it's ~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini (I can't tell where it is on Windows but I'l sure Rich will come to help). Replace StartupMode=recent by StartupMode=cwd . And change your Gimp startup directory to the required directory in your shortcut. Not that this doesn't change the default directory when you save things, so adding your favorite directory/directories as a bookmark(s) is still a good idea. Other tweaks (not much) are documented here.

For 2) no. Yes, clicking on every image is slow,  but opening the dialog in a directory full of complex XCF (or full of JOG on a slow medium/network share) would be even slower. If you Gimp is correctly set up, you can use your file explorer in thumbnail view on open images in Gimp from it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Open Image" change default folder and thumbnail view? - by Ofnuts - 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM