Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated
I'm using 2.10.24 Yesterday after importing 73 meg PNG file into GIMP the XCF file became really bloated -  698 meg and the PNG I exported from this was 397 meg. I think the reason this is occurring is sometimes some pics are too small so I need to scale the layer much higher, sometimes over 100,000 px. Does scaling increase the file size quite a bit? 

When this occurs GIMP is super slow at saving the file or exporting a file.  Recently when this happened I noticed that most of the files I've been creating lately, which are all similar faces swaps, are fairly small XCF files (5-100 meg) and small PNG's (1-35 meg)  are created from the export.

I use Photo Gallery to view my pics and want them to be about the same size for a slide show. After I make changes in GIMP I always open the pic in PhotoWorks, which is a program with some time saving photo correction and altering tools. I then save as a PNG and I open it again in GIMP for final fixes.

As a temporary fix I used the Snipping Tool to create a new PNG file from the  397 meg and it's a small 682 KB PNG file - 500x smaller

I think the PNG file somehow got corrupted. Is there a way to fix a file that opens in GIMP but is corrupted in some way?  or do I just need to use the Snipping Tool? Or can the export the scale the pic larger?

Messages In This Thread
Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated - by GMP - 06-14-2021, 01:47 AM
RE: Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated - by GMP - 06-14-2021, 09:00 PM