Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated
Great advice. I think the problem is the Photoworks program I'm using to tweak the pics. I've noticed getting a message sometimes about it needing to reduce the size of the pic or something like that. And then when I go back to GIMP I have to scale the size up. 

I'm going to start watching more closely the size of the XCF files and the PNG files that both programs are creating. Next time I start running into a problem I'll just use the Snipping tool to make a PNG unless there's a better way of doing this. 

Can GIMP or another program fix a problem like this when the PNG that I import into GIMP is really bigger than it should be?

What is the purpose of compression in exporting a PNG file? Is it simply to make the file size smaller making it easier to email or save HD space? If so, neither of those are issues for me and I can either skip compression or reduce the 9 default to 5 or less as suggested.

Next time I feel like I need to scale something even close to 100,000 px, I'll stop and redo something. Most of the pics I start with are JPG files ranging from 45 KB to 2,700 KB

So far the only XCF file I've had that's been this huge problem is this XCF I mentioned  - 698 megs and the exported PNG 397 megs. The PNG I imported into GIMP that created this mess was 71 meg, which is far bigger than my typical range of 200 KB to 20 meg and this 71 meg file either won't open in Photo Gallery or is extremely slow. Maybe it's a corrupt file.

In the future I plan on changing the Preferences like Rich said and using less compression for the PNG exports.

Messages In This Thread
Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated - by GMP - 06-14-2021, 01:47 AM
RE: Some XCF and PNG exports are bloated - by GMP - 06-14-2021, 09:00 PM