Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My GIMP 2.10 crashes on all file operations!
(08-13-2021, 11:19 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:This is not acceptable, because while I can edit and alter images all I like (by first opening them in GIMP via Windows Explorer, thus bypassing the broken "File" menu), I can't save any of my work!

Not acceptable ? No use complaining here, no Gimp developers visit. The place for bug reports is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

However, some things to try.  Reinstalling Gimp over itself rarely does any good. I find even uninstalling first, leaves some remains. Un-install, close and re-open Windows and the folder C:\Program Files\GIMP 2  will now delete.  
Then the version, There are bug fixes to the Windows 2.10.24 installer, it is up to #3  https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...etup-3.exe

Installing does not remove the User profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\  which is often contains the problem. Disable that by re-naming to
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP-backup   Start up Gimp and see if it makes any difference.
Always difficult with Windows, MS updates without notice so do AV applications. Who Knows ?

Re "Not acceptable?": Yes, not acceptable. I meant "acceptable" in the sense of "Adequate; Satisfactory":

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/acceptable

The behavior of my malfunctioning GIMP is the opposite of that.

Re "No use complaining here, no Gimp developers visit.": I did not address my post to "Gimp developers", but rather, to this forum.

Re "The place for bug reports is...": I did not title my post "bug report", I never said anything about "bug", and I'm not even certain this this problem is a "bug". In fact, I think it probably isn't.

Re "There are bug fixes to the Windows 2.10.24 installer, it is up to #3": GIMP developers make changes to their installer without updating version number? Confusing. But thanks for the tip; I'll download and try that.

Re "Installing does not remove the User profile C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\ which is often contains the problem. Disable that by re-naming to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP-backup Start up Gimp and see if it makes any difference.": I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

Re "Always difficult with Windows, MS updates without notice so do AV applications": I thought about that too. So I tried uninstalling all windows updates from the last few days and restarting, but the problem remains. Not that I really expected that to fix anything, because there were no Windows updates between "last moment of GIMP working fine" and "first moment of GIMP malfunctioning".

Update: I left Gimp in a "not-responding" state after requesting "File-Open", came back a half-hour later, and the File-Open box was finally up! Just, it took about 2000 seconds to come up, which is 20,000 times longer than the 0.1 seconds (or so) it usually takes. But after that initial half-hour delay, all menu items work normally again for a half-hour or so. Then GIMP goes back into a "not-responding" state for another half-hour, then works normally for a half-hour again. Very weird. But at least I now have some things to try; thanks for the information.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help! My GIMP 2.10 crashes on all file operations! - by LagrangeL4 - 08-13-2021, 11:47 PM