Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving work in progress
Smile
(09-16-2021, 01:50 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Sidetracked again:

1) The original post was about back-ups in general.

2) The op gave as an example this  ...using Foreground Select Tool. I had completed the foreground select and before starting the background select
Thinks it is a selection but it is not. Initially the foreground select tool does not make a selection as such. It is a boundary marker that happens to resemble a selection. No good trying to save that to a channel. You need to wait until the foreground select tool operation is complete.
Draw round the intended FG - paint-inside the FG - maybe paint in some BG - wait for it to work - hit enter - now it makes a selection.

Thanks very much for all the information, it has been very helpful.

1.From what you indicated, I think the crash was due to trying to save it to OneDrive - I will save locally from now on which is much faster.  I had switched to OneDrive after a Windows Update changed a number of settings without my realizing what had happened. A lot of files got deleted without the usual "Too many files for Recycle Bin" warning because Windows had turned it off.  Sorted now, but I lost a lot of time and work because of it.

2. I now know that the foreground select operation was not completed as I thought. I was trying to use an aged Wacom tablet, as the mouse makes accuracy much harder. I didn't know until I had done some digging, that even though the tablet is pretty basic, I could integrate it into GIMP. I now have a button clearly marked as ENTER and set up for a left-hander, and I will paint inside the FG before hitting that button.

You have given me confidence now, that I can go ahead without worrying about all these side issues, and focus on learning the wonders of GIMP.

3. The other information, I will review again when I am further on and hopefully by then, I will be able to take that on board as well.

Thanks again.

Messages In This Thread
Saving work in progress - by Threadbare2021 - 09-15-2021, 09:20 AM
RE: Saving work in progress - by rich2005 - 09-16-2021, 07:45 AM
RE: Saving work in progress - by PixLab - 09-16-2021, 08:31 AM
RE: Saving work in progress - by Ofnuts - 09-16-2021, 08:40 AM
RE: Saving work in progress - by PixLab - 09-16-2021, 01:21 PM
RE: Saving work in progress - by rich2005 - 09-16-2021, 01:50 PM
RE: Saving work in progress - by Threadbare2021 - 09-17-2021, 08:53 AM