Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me understand how to use a color channel as a mask
Hello, I am a novice GIMP user.  I am modifying game textures, which usually include a mask texture, with various red, green, or blue colors.  Those are used by the game engine to color specific parts of a texture to customize it.  I was manually editing parts by hand, which is not accurate, and someone showed me the short video in PS below.  I don't really understand it, but maybe someone can watch it, and can show me how to achieve the same thing in GIMP with step by step instructions?  Thanks in advance, it will save me a lot of time.

http://i.imgur.com/nSY6Gu9.gifv

I'm sure the same effect can easily be accomplished in GIMP, and I can provide the files he is using if necessary, I just don't really have a good workflow.  Specifically, the goal is to easily, quickly, and accurately make a part of the COLOR texture (from a color or section on the MASK texture) be colored with a specific color, like with colorize or colorify, and the MASK texture to have the corresponding part be black.  I am just not getting a lot of the exact detail when I do it manually.

Messages In This Thread
Please help me understand how to use a color channel as a mask - by Mapsking - 09-28-2021, 08:31 PM