Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Match altered image to its original
(11-03-2021, 12:29 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: To quote Wikipedia:

The Flash Player was deprecated in 2017 and officially discontinued at the end of 2020 for all users outside China, as well as non-enterprise users, with many web browsers and operating systems scheduled to remove the Flash Player software around the same time.

Jeesh, Ofnuts – This is unexpected.  If I might speak frankly, I find it considerably off-topic, as I am addressing a forum on Image Manipulation, not Business Manipulation.  Wikipedia would more correctly state that Adobe has transferred ongoing full support for Flash Player to Harman International [where I have made contacts], as done routinely with other Adobe products, and it remains readily available to 20% of the world's population.

Yes, I have been working since 2017 to find comparable alternatives.  There are none, known to me.  My interest has naught to do with Web presentation, as my prospective enterprise client, the University of Amsterdam Medical Center, requires positioning of visual elements with the precision of 3.6 microns, routinely available in the ISO 32000 standard [aka PDF].  For now, our prototyping continues uninterrupted, until Adobe releases equivalent support for, and logical coordination with, native media players.  This production is solely for a standalone environment.  None of our numerous operating systems have had Flash Player removed [my specimens are from OS X 10.7.5 - macOS 10.15.7], nor does any entity have the authority, nor the capacity, to so do.

Back to the nature of this Forum.  I feel as if I presented a dilemma attempting to match two images taken at my granddaughter's wedding.  One was taken with a Leica M3, and the other, precisely synchronized via photography strobe-light, a Polaroid SX-70.  And the answer comes back – "We can't help you.  Both of those camera models were deprecated."

Harman International's reply has been, "Flash Player is working as specified.  We'd suggest you try a Photoshop Forum to match the images as required."  Regarding the behavior of Acrobat [you'll see below that it distinctly extends beyond Flash Player], Adobe's reply is the same.  I would prefer an open-source solution, as would Amsterdam.

– – –

Let me re-phrase my topic in the context of a non-deprecated business product utilized worldwide by medical researchers, scientists, engineers, law courts, and tax authorities.  You might cheer up to find that I'm not wallowing in naïveté.  And I believe you are wham-slam, right on the cusp of fixing what's going on here.  To wit, your observations questioning "32 regularly spaced (step=8) peaks in the output histogram (that are the same on all channels). IS the image quantized in the process?"  

Consider this the topic:

I have some images which become altered by a process unknown to me, over which I have no control.  It stems from 3D Models in ISO 32000 documents, as rendered by Adobe Acrobat.  When I place a Button Icon atop the model, the icon image is altered, but only in the region overlapping the model.

See the Upload Repository for the folder Adobe Acrobat 3D Models the Friendly Ghost, where you will find files pertaining to those here attached, including .xcf.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Match altered image to its original - by Brian.Raila - 11-03-2021, 07:15 PM