Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Match altered image to its original
(11-03-2021, 09:28 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
Quote:Back to the nature of this Forum.  I feel as if I presented a dilemma attempting to match two images taken at my granddaughter's wedding.  One was taken with a Leica M3, and the other, precisely synchronized via photography strobe-light, a Polaroid SX-70.  And the answer comes back – "We can't help you.  Both of those camera models were deprecated."

No, the analogy is more like you are trying to match up two pictures to create a slide when no one makes slide projectors anymore and even replacement bulbs all come from an abandoned warehouse in Pripyat.

Now, back to the problem t hand. The peaks that appear in the histogram can have only one explanation: several input colors are mapped to the same output color in a much larger scale than what you get when doing some usual color editing. And since there are no gaps in the histogram this also mean that this happens only for some of the pixels and others are unscathed. So figuring out which is which to find an appropriate transform to pre-compensate is going to be an uphill battle. On the other hand, since
Quote:Harman International's reply has been, "Flash Player is working as specified"

then there are specs, and what do they say?

They say, "We specs are the very definition of proprietary/trade-secret mechanisms."  So even though ISO 32000 is an 'open standard' [i.e it's specs are available, free of royalty payment {in contrast with the bulk of ISO standards, for which one must pay to replicate/practice/distribute said standard}], it also accommodates proprietary customization, for add-ons, extensions, plugins, and such.  Adobe Acrobat aptly demonstrates this with Flash Player.

To quote Wikipedia:

the completeness of its public specifications are debated, and no complete implementation of Flash is publicly available in source code form with a license that permits reuse. 

That's what Harman is referring to when they say, "as specified".  You can appreciate that Adobe finds benefit in not disclosing the specs, since they rely on them for current, ongoing competitive product development.  Following the Great Flash Security Scare of 2016, Adobe suffered losses from people fleeing Adobe Flash Professional.  It's a credit to their marketing prowess that they regained those lost customers flocking back, simply by changing the name to Adobe Animate, with essentially no change to the underlying Flash Professional code.

I hope that my reliance on Flash is not out of ignorance, should you or others have suggestions for comparable alternatives.  I'll forgo a detailed account of requirements in this thread.  In general, Web presentation is ruled out due to unsophistication of imagery [e.g. spatial imprecision, low resolution, limited use of transparency, clumsy scaling], device dependence, limited audience reach, connection vulnerabilities, and security weaknesses, but, above all, temporal coordination [intrinsic flaw of all networks], precisely predictable layout and formatting, and re-use, revision, markup, editing, and redistribution, from an initial recipient to subsequently another.  And, critically –– at no, or low, cost.

You are spot-on in identifying the need for "an appropriate transform to pre-compensate".  But let's set aside, for now, a generalized engineering remedy, for all cases.  I would welcome your guidance, particularly as to a conceptual strategy, on how to approach, how to think about, how to go about, where to observe, which buttons to push – you are eminently adept in all those regards – in undertaking a "best shot approximation" for one image pair.

– – –

Back to the wedding photographs.  My granddaughter got married on the stage at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam (so you've seen the starting pair).  Should I be adjusting RGB Color Curves, only?  Or better off evaluating HCL, HLS?  Brightness and Contrast seem straightforward.

Pointers to Forum threads, tutorials, or related whatnot, would equally be most welcome.

With appreciation,
BR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Match altered image to its original - by Brian.Raila - 11-04-2021, 03:12 AM