Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wavelets for gradient removal and star reduction
(11-08-2021, 10:01 AM)nelo Wrote: Maybe this guy's homepage for GIMP astronomy plugins is interesting to you?
http://www.hennigbuam.de/georg/gimp.html

I had noticed his pages before, pretty impressive stuff.  His gradient removal works like the polynomial trend removal like I wrote in Scilab.  Trouble is, calculating a polynomial for a 4000 x 6000 image is time consuming, even in Scilab where everything is vectorized and the underlying loop is in a C coded binary.  The wavelet decomposition is much faster.  Being able to avoid dealing with the various data types that Gimp passes in is also worth something.  So I like the wavelets better, the result is also quite good.  I have no need for the other utilities.

I have been contemplating writing my own plugins but (1) Gimp has no public C api, you have to build all of it and pick what you need, and (2) Gimp's internal Python is 2.7 and has no numpy or scipy.  Since the world has moved to 3 this is not really good.  It would help greatly if the user could configure Gimp to use an external Anaconda release, 2 or 3.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wavelets for gradient removal and star reduction - by HenkSB - 11-08-2021, 02:25 PM