Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling transparent area with color
(12-02-2021, 06:26 AM)PixLab Wrote: Another quick solution:

If you follow this one step by step, you should have a clean photo in no time:
Take your original image (2048 or resize it to 2048 pixel) and drop it in GIMP

Make your canvas the size needed in height Image ➤ Canvas size...,
Then right click on your unique layer Layer ➤ Layer to image size

Then, In the Channels dialog ➤ take the red channel and drag 'n drop it on the image/canvas (by doing so once drag n dropped, you might have selected the red channel, if so ➤ unselect by clicking on it again)

Go back to your layer stack and select the red channel layer
Then Colors ➤ Threshold... (adjust the slider until all the sky-part is white, but not more or the foliage will start to disappear)

Then Edit ➤ Copy
Make this layer (the channel) invisible (un-tick the eye)
Select the original image/layer ➤ Add a mask (white full opacity)

Then Edit ➤ Paste
Then, Click on the anchor at the bottom of the layer stack

Then Colors ➤ Invert (the hard work part is done, the sky is now removed Wink )
Then Select the layer itself(click on it) to deselect the mask
Now you can add your bucket color on a new layer below or inside a selection below your panorama, then export as png to keep the transparent area

Before to export, If you do need to adjust the foliage visibility ➤ Click on the mask to select it, then Filters ➤ Distorts ➤ Value propagate... more white will increase the foliage, more black will decrease the foliage (but may be it's for an another "tuto")

You guys are better than paid support!  Thank you for taking the time to screen cap all the steps.  I've had GIMP for years just used it for basic stuff never really learned how to use many of the tools, layers, etc.  I'll take a copy of my pano and play with it some using these techniques.  What I have now for my imaging needs is perfectly fine, all I need to know is when will my target be above the trees, building, poles etc.  I'm going to research the end use and see if sizing and resolution will make much difference and if so what the specific requirements are for the file.

I'll include a couple of my latest images here.  I use Pixinsight to do the processing for these images from hundreds of single photos and calibration frames captured on a cooled monochrome camera.  It's taken me a couple of years and I'm getting better but still don't have an image that I consider worthy of publishing or printing.

Thanks again for helping an old guy out  Cool

I did find info on what the image size needs to be.

IMPORTANT: Make sure all textures have dimensions which are integer powers of 2, i.e. 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, ... e.g. 4096 by 1024, 2048 by 2048 and so on.

This is a limitation of OpenGL. Some video hardware will work OK with images with different image dimensions, but many will not display properly, suffer vastly reduced frame rates, and even crash the computer.

I'll bump it up or should I say do a little less reduction from the original and see if the quality improves some.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Filling transparent area with color - by Dan Bryan - 12-02-2021, 02:08 PM