Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System cache filling up with Gimp AppImage
(12-13-2021, 10:25 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Edit: A quick look around, check out https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-de...tarting-it

I read over the link, with Ofnuts contributing and testing memory usage, and he seems to think it's pretty normal behavior.  I guess the problem is just working with such large images on a regular basis. 

I think the command you provided will work okay for me.  Maybe while using Gimp, after all of the memory is being used/cached and it starts writing to disk, I'll just close Gimp and use sync && sudo sh -c "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" and restart Gimp.

I'm not sure that I wish to decrease the amount of memory available to Gimp before it swaps tiles of the image out to disk because I like for Gimp to have what it needs and run smoothly.  I certainly don't think I want to increase tile-cache-size either, as that would seemingly be counterproductive considering the problems I'm currently having.

16GB of RAM just doesn't seem to be enough memory when working with multiple 10-20MB images over several Gimp sessions.  If someone wants to work with big images, I guess they need to have a larger amount of memory and that is understandable.

Like the original poster in the thread you gave a link to was curious about, it was kind of baffling to me how Gimp doesn't "seemingly" release the massive amounts of memory it uses when Gimp is closed but, I guess that is normal.

Gimp can be closed for hours and other things are being done on the computer for hours and the system still has virtually all of its memory cached from the previous Gimp usage, no matter how long ago that was or how many apps have been opened and used since then.

There is a cure now with the command you provided.  That's a lot better than having to restart the computer to regain memory to be able to use other programs comfortably.

Messages In This Thread
RE: System cache filling up with Gimp AppImage - by CtrlAltDel - 12-14-2021, 03:40 AM