Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updates curiosity
Well, no not exactly. But I suspect we are talking about the same thing. In order to verify that some of the plugins worked, I had to load an image ....and went to "File > Open" and that produced the "open  image" dialog, with the sub heading "Recently Used", and in the file list were 4 files I had edited a week before even downloading the portable application.

So, in conjunction with being a little unnerved by my recent experience where the creation of the portable version "salvaged" that ton of old brushes and patterns from the  .gimp2.8  legacy folder, I was probably in hyper-sensitivity mode and similarly noticed those files in the open image dialog as being "disturbingly legacy" as well.

Your explanation makes sense, so until I have a chance to try the portable version on some foreign machine, I'll take your word for it.   Smile

Additionally of interest to me, on the portable gimp, Edit Preferences>Folders> (brushes, patterns, etc) specifications, I see that G: is specified as the source drive. And the flash drive in use was in fact G: when the portable version was created. I didn't make the G: specification, that  was specified as a "default" by the install process.

But I'm wondering how that's going to work out when I take that flash drive to some other machine where it will clearly NOT be G: ?   My local library is closed until Monday, so I'll just have to wait, in order to verify.

Seems like I vaguely remember there being a wildcard, or an environment variable you could specify in such instances that told your program "in the same directory you are installed in", but it's been so long I can't recall with certainty. Seems as though something like that would be better than a hard specification....

Messages In This Thread
Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-22-2021, 11:48 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by Ofnuts - 12-23-2021, 12:42 AM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-23-2021, 01:28 AM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-23-2021, 06:42 AM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-23-2021, 06:05 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by Ofnuts - 12-24-2021, 12:14 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-24-2021, 02:54 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by Ofnuts - 12-24-2021, 05:29 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-24-2021, 05:37 PM
RE: Updates curiosity - by rickk - 12-24-2021, 06:45 PM