Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graffiti Drawing
Thanks alot for your kind words. 

There is only one intended lightsource which is the fire. I tried to do this justice with the rule of thumb: the further away from the fire, the darker. With some occasional splinters of light allowed higher up on the tree bark and stuff. I did my best with the shadows but do also agree that they do not fit perfectly which makes it weird. The rule of thumb here was: If the object that casts shadow is smaller than the fire, so is its shadow, and vice versa. This is why the shadow of the letters spreads very high up and far back for example.Can you point out any instances wherere the shadows are clearly misplaced? Im sure they are obvious but if you drew it yourself it\s more difficult to see. 

Depth perception might also be impaired because I didnt use clearcut perspective lines but drew it in more of a free style. The whole environment was initially just meant as a sort of decoration for the graffiti as is usually done, but it ended up taking the majority of my time and I think this is also why it's more of an issue that the perspective isn't perfect. The tree on the left is indeed meant as a sort of framing for the image, but I will try to take better care for the leaves and their size next time, wasn't particularly happy with how they look either. 

As for the flowers, the perennial on the left was drawn from reference and the red flower just from memory, which obviously shows. I'm glad you noticed the perennial because it really took a disproportionate amount of time as compared to how much space it gets in the image Smile 

I really appreciate your feedback. Have a nice day. 

(02-04-2022, 03:49 PM)Gimpquester Wrote: Hi guys

Just finished my first project in Gimp which is a graffiti. Would like to get some honest and critical feedback

Cheers

Since no one has volunteered an opinion, I'll offer-up.   Big Grin

First of all, I think it looks better than anything that I could draw, so..."well done"!

But, on the critical side, how many intended light sources do you have?  On the surface I would expect the fire to be the light source, but the shadows cast do not:
1. all align with one another
2.project from the campfire as a common light source

I think the combination of the two send a message to the viewer that "somethings wrong", and that kills perception of depth

Additionally, the leaves on the tree branch all appear to all be the same size, in contrast with a perception of depth where leaves further from the viewer should ostensibly be smaller. If you put them more in perspective with appropriate scale, the branch might look less like something drawn on a bag of Keebler cookies.  Wink

In that same vein (depth), I think the petals on the purple flowers at the base of the tree are very well done, while the red flowers on the other side of the drawing ...decidedly less so.

But overall I think your drawing is really cool.

Messages In This Thread
Graffiti Drawing - by Gimpquester - 02-04-2022, 03:49 PM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by rickk - 02-07-2022, 10:54 PM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by Gimpquester - 02-11-2022, 04:53 PM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by rickk - 02-15-2022, 01:08 AM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by Gimpquester - 02-15-2022, 06:18 PM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by rickk - 02-15-2022, 03:24 AM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by rickk - 02-15-2022, 06:53 PM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by Gimpquester - 02-16-2022, 12:27 AM
RE: Graffiti Drawing - by rich2005 - 02-15-2022, 07:36 PM