Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich, I'd like to have an old smoothing plugin
The plugins posted by Rich and Krikor seem to be the same. Thanks again for the quick answers. Here are some observations.

It is clear now that what the plugin does is that it modifies the path so that
  1. at each anchor the first and second derivatives become continuous (this is so-called C2-continuity);
  2. at the ends of open strokes the second derivatives become 0.
So it does the same thing as explained in the following text which Ofnuts once showed me:

https://www.stkent.com/2015/07/03/buildi...urves.html

except that it handles also closed strokes.

And it seems to me that for closed strokes the old plugin may have a little bug. The results differed slightly from those of the plugin I am now developing, and that made me notice the following. Look at the picture:

The blue triangle is the original path and the red path is what the old plugin made. The two handles shown belong to the red path. Notice that they are not along the same line. They form an angle, so the path is not smooth there. That problem anchor appears as the first anchor in the list of control points (checked in the Python console).

I know very well by now that closed strokes are difficult for plugin authors. The start and end anchors require special handling, and it is always an effort to get it all right.

Yes, I am developing a similar plugin right now. Instead of C2-continuity it makes also less restrictive G2-continuous paths. I shall publish it when (and if) I can get it in a form that satisfies myself. Let us hope for the best.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rich, I'd like to have an old smoothing plugin - by Ottia Tuota - 02-24-2022, 12:24 PM