Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File Open from Windows Network - WORKAROUND
I'm new to Gimp coming from Photoshop 5.5 on Windows. I edit a lot of images stored in many folders on shared network drives. I was in disbelief when I went to open some files there and tried to use the open file dialog. Searching the web provided no solutions.

I need a solution since there's no way to access a network share by just the URI (mapping a network share opens doors to malware infections spreading). I've tried setting up a symbolic link to the network drive with MKLINK but Gimp ignores it. And the same problem then comes up when doing a save as - you can't put it to a network folder. I found only one way to workaround this issue:

1. Place a jpg file in the root of your network share.
  2. Open-location to the file.
  3. Open-file and reopen the same file.
  4. Open-file again and and you will now be in that root network folder where you can navigate!
  5. Now you can select some of the folders and add them to the "Places" in the left column for quick access (and rename them).
  6. And with access to these folders, you can get to the root folder from the navigation breadcrumbs at the top of the panel.
But REALLY!?
How are Windows users with networks using this software? Don't Linux people have networks?

Messages In This Thread
File Open from Windows Network - WORKAROUND - by wysocki - 02-28-2022, 10:37 PM