Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me with this!
Good afternoon all.

God I love GIMP!  Congrats to everyone involved who designed it.  Just love it.  Use it hours a day.  I've used it solidly for about 6 months now.

I've included a pic that highlights what I'm trying to do.  Not mine, but it's a good example.  I'm trying to achieve this effect. ie:  I'm taking a google earth map.  I've drawn around the US so, there's a (aqua) line around the borders of the US.  I'd like to take everything else (but US - which i'd keep as is) and change it to a slightly faded mono color.  So ideally as I'm trying to present the picture of the US, it (and it alone) POPS out.

I'm having trouble pasting my selection. (as I say I've got an aqua border around the border of the US). So I can use fuzzy select (of aqua), or select by color (aqua), and create a PATH of the US no problem. 

I want to copy and paste (just the US) as another layer by itself (so it can stay it's color, i can manipulate the color of everything else but the US).  That's my approach to creating it.

When I select the path I've created (of just the US), it'll only copy the outlilne - NOT the contents within.  I essentially want to pick JUST the US out of this picture (via the aqua border i've created, and the path).

As I've said I've tried creating a mask with the  path, select by color, fuzzy select, whenever i copy/paste it just copies the aqua border outline I've created, not the contents within.

So frustrated.  I know i should be able to do it.  Just can't figure it out.

If you could suggest a way, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

SUMMARY: Extract just this pic of the US out this picture, paste as a new layer. (again i have a pre drawn aqua line border around the US)  You'd think it'd be easy.

[Image: tutorial--style-single-country-step-fina...813b2.webp]

Messages In This Thread
Can you help me with this! - by Edward99 - 03-18-2022, 08:54 PM
RE: Can you help me with this! - by Edward99 - 03-18-2022, 09:52 PM
RE: Can you help me with this! - by sallyanne - 03-20-2022, 12:06 AM