Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export to .ico not working correctly
(03-25-2022, 03:49 AM)rickk Wrote: Papabear said:   (But this does beg the question - if one can send only visible layers to .gif and to .tiff - why not .ico? I just don't see the reason for forcing the extra steps of creating some other file, opening that file, and then exporting again to an .ico...)

I think I have the solution you are looking for.  After you finish compositing the layer you intend to have visible, just drag it to the bottom of your layer stack, before exporting as an .ico file
As depicted in the attached ...below,  in the layers dialog on the far right.   You want the image you intend to have visible sitting in the slot that I've named "Bottom"
And then be sure in your export dialog to have a color depth specified for that layer (as I've specified " 8 bpp, 1-bit alpha, 256-slot palette"
And you'll be all set. The layers you've made invisible will be preserved, just not able to interfere with your image.
[Image: aDf9I9w.png]

Hmmm --- bottom of the list - never would have thought that should matter. Quite interesting. 

I was with you until you last statement.  Not sure how to be sure a particular color depth is specified. Are you saying to be sure a palette is specified? I gave this a whirl, and it still generated an .ico file that did not look like the desired layer (...it used some other layer - about 5 from the top - I have about 13 layers in there. Not sure how it is choosing...) (Update: Several tries later - this seems to have worked - so I don't know what changed to make it work when it did not at first... oh well... I'll keep trying this each time to see if it works reliably going forward.)

Sure would be nice if that list of layers also had an "Include" check-box, that defaulted to true for visible layers. That would solve this whole riddle as to what will or won't go into the .ico file.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Export to .ico not working correctly - by PapaBear1 - 03-28-2022, 11:49 AM