Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Move a Selection
(04-04-2022, 02:21 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 08:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In some tools you can move the selected pixels right away. For instance in the Free Select, right after you have done the selection you can Ctrl-Alt-drag (Cut) or Shift-Alt-drag (copy) to move the selected pixels.

Interesting, on my distro Ctrl-Alt-drag works for all select tools except the scissors,
The Shift+Alt-drag shows the move pointer, but does not work, instead, Shift+Super+Alt+drag does work well
Thanks for the tips

OK - I tried this with the Free Select tool, and this secret sauce worked!
Thanks!

So, it is truly just my humble opinion as a NOOB, but IF I place the Move tool into "Move Selection" mode, I would expect it to do what Ctrl-Alt-drag does - which is to move the selection - but it does not. It moves the dotted lines, and then there's nothing I can discern to do after that.  The lines are moved - but then what? Hitting return does nothing, and there's no Floating layer to anchor either. I really am curious what this other process is that is being supported by this "Move Selection" tool.

(04-02-2022, 02:55 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 07:08 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: Hmmmmm --- I don't follow that at all.  But that's on me.  You must be describing some more complicated process that I've just never encountered.  Even if it allowed you to move one 'selection' without moving the content (while others are selected - somehow) - then what?  This would imply that I could still somehow plant the content in the new location after moving it - but that doesn't sound like that is the case. I'm still wondering what this other process is if it is not ending up with stuff being moved.  It sounds like we must use this Copy/Paste process every time to actually move something.  Is Copy/Paste etc. complicated? No, but it is not intuitive with what a normal user would expect to happen when they select something and then try to move it with a "move selection" tool.  Calculus is easy once you learn it too.  Ha...   Smile

Don't assume that every one is working your way. I don't, at all...
Having said that GIMP has a tool/preset for the selection behaving the way you would like

Make your selection with any selection tool,
Then go to Select ➤ Float or you can use the shortcut Shift+ Ctrl + L and JUST move the selected pixels where you want (You do NOT need to select the move tool)!
once it's done, click the Anchor button at the bottom of the layer stack/dialog

25 seconds video ➤ https://imgur.com/a/FYgeMxC

OK - I think you solved the mystery for me of what I would need to do NEXT, after making my selection - which is the Select > Float thing.  In many other instances, I think I've noticed that the system automatically creates the float, but not here. I'm sure there's a reason, but again - just not obvious.  So - I had no idea I needed to do that next.  Now I know!

I agree in principle - never assume -- Ha...  Having said that, I don't think I'm in Left Field here --- expecting to be able to make a selection and move it using the 'move selection' tool seems pretty normal.  I certainly don't assume everyone does things the same way - but - just as in the word processing example - if I highlight two words in a word processor, and then click and drag them with the mouse, I expect the words to move - and I don't think it's a reach to say that over 95% of other people would say the same - and I'm expecting this to be the same kind of operation here - with the same 95% of users expecting it.  Select it - then move it.  But I fully understand there are numerous complications and options and clever features, many of which I'm probably unaware.  I still think, however, (again - obviously just another IMHO) that the most obvious and efficient process should be the default behavior - while still supporting all that fancy stuff - but supporting THAT fancy stuff with the secret sauce keystrokes.  

Thanks again to all with the input, details, advice, etc.  I really appreciate this active forum with knowledgeable members!  I now think I know enough to move selections in GIMP!     Smile

Messages In This Thread
Can't Move a Selection - by PapaBear1 - 04-01-2022, 03:20 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by programmer_ceds - 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by PapaBear1 - 04-01-2022, 03:58 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by programmer_ceds - 04-01-2022, 04:09 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by PapaBear1 - 04-01-2022, 07:08 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by PixLab - 04-02-2022, 02:55 AM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by programmer_ceds - 04-02-2022, 10:07 AM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by Ofnuts - 04-03-2022, 08:19 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by PixLab - 04-04-2022, 02:21 AM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by PapaBear1 - 04-04-2022, 02:27 PM
RE: Can't Move a Selection - by Ofnuts - 04-05-2022, 07:30 AM