Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone recommend me a handheld scanner for textbooks?
PixLab Wrote:Now about the scanner, just my 2 cents, although I don't use those.

Thank you for inserting that nice image showing those models. I do feel that you understand my needs here.

I kept doing more research on my own and I found this list of recommendations on PC Magazine for which I suggest you to take a look to those models that also feature the one mentioned earlier. Yes I mean the wand type.

The thing with those is that the majority is fed with a single document which rolls into the device and isn't something that you can use in a book which is binded.

There is also this list which if you take a look all models there are of the arm kind you shown in the right.

I guess more or less the quality will vary I don't know by how much between manufacters but due my needs I don't think it will matter much.

The thing is, and this is where Gimp comes in, how do I get rid off the rounded effect or groove you see when you take a picture of a book pages?

Near the edge where the page meets the spine of the book there is a curve. Some of those models come with a propietary software which will modify the image to flatten that surface so in the end there is a nice straight page.

Can I do the same with Gimp?.

Yes, I am disregarding the earlier comment about using a camera or an android device on a tripod as I do not have those available and I don't think it will produce the image which I am aiming at.

My second doubt is, does it exist some filter to make a color image to be black and white?. No I don't mean to make it grayscale I mean a black and white image like the one you get with a xerox copy so that the letters and formulas and sketches like found in geometry can be seen more clearly or have more contrast and can be later reprinted.

There is also the option of using a flatbed scanner, however I don't like this idea because it will cause strain in the spine when pressing in the reader surface and it could also damage the unit due the weight of the book. Although my collection isn't that heavy.

Since you mentioned if it does worth about trying the one which is a wand. It seems that there isn't much distortion but the only way to say is by actually trying it. At this point the reason which makes me to prefer these kind over the others is that with the wand you avoid that curve or round distortion near the spine of the book. This is because you can sweep over the surface.

PixLab Wrote:Do you feel ok to manually slowly scan with your hand each page of those volume handling the hand scanner perfectly straight while moving down?

Regarding the 10 volume set and the thing of doing it one by one. Yes I know it can sound tedious and time consuming but I don't intend to do it in one batch.

I haven't took a picture of my collection, but it just happens that a guy who owns another copy has. So you can see how it looks below.

[Image: 0N21EIE.jpg]

[Image: xVpYbEQl.png]

As you can see it isn't really that beefy like the Encyclopedia Britannica. Its really brief and succinct and that why I want to digitalize it.

All and all, what do you think?. Should I give it a try?. Can you please attend my questions as well?.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can someone recommend me a handheld scanner for textbooks? - by Chemist116 - 05-02-2022, 06:39 PM