Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a good looking group picture from individual photos?
Hey there everyone, guest273 here!

How to make a good looking group picture from individual photos?

A short story of why and what I need:

1) I'm about to have my graduation ceremony in my university later this week.
2) Our university has a tradition that each year the people who graduate send their photos to one person and that person makes them into a "group picture" or rather a "group collage".
3) This group collage is given as a gift to the university during the ceremony.
And this year, since no one really wanted to be the person, I was tasked with doing this task.

So, after a weeks of bombarding people with emails I have 34 pictures, one from each student (incusing myself). They're all totally different sizes & I have to make this thing fit on either an A4 or A3 paper. (Currently I'm going for A3 size, which is 4961 x 3508 px.)

I want to make something cool looking. Any ideas?

So my current idea is to take a blank A3 page, make a hexagon pattern where each hexagon would potentially be able to fit a person with his / her picture + their name OR just their picture and fit their name + surname on the 2 hexagons directly below. I have no idea how to mathematically make this possible. Like I don't want to use the half-hexagons on the very edges + I probably want to put the universities logo and faculty name somewhere on the "top row" of the hexagons. After that I have an idea, so the background wouldn't be white to put this HD 4000X3000 image of our universities building front as like a 20-30% transparent layer. I think it would look cool. I could also color the half hexagons in our university color pattern.

Like, how do I do any of this?  Huh Huh Huh Is there an 'easy' way to make each picture match each hexagon somewhat ok? Like is there simple masking in gimp? Because square images in hexagons would look whack.

I would really appreciate just a short description / clip of how to set up the background and how to mask said images so they'd only show in 1 hexagon at a time. Once I know how to do it once I should be able to repeat it 34 times.

Thanks for your help.

Messages In This Thread
How to make a good looking group picture from individual photos? - by guest273 - 06-27-2022, 07:41 PM