Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would someone be willing to make this plug-in for me? 15-bit color
Hello; I have not been to this forum before, so I don't know what the proper etiquette is for this sort of thing.  If asking for favors like this is a big no-no, then I apologize and won't ask why I don't have any responses.

I am looking for some functionality to help with my pixel art, but I am not familiar with the scripting and programming that GIMP uses.
I'd like a tool or command or something to help me convert my colors to 15-bit.  (Of course, the image itself would not be saved in this format, I just need to convert the colors I am using/making.)

Just so we're all on the same page of what I mean by 15-bit color, it is this:  Instead of the RGB channels having a range of 256 colors, they have a range of 32.
I don't need to redesign the fundamental way GIMP handles color data, I just need to conform the colors I am using to match those limitations.  Since GIMP operates in 24-bit color, this just means that the RGB value of any color needs to be a multiple of 8.

A color value of (104, 120, 160) is a 15-bit color, but a color value of (106, 120, 160) is not.
So what I want is a tool that would convert the color (106, 120, 160) into (104, 120, 160).

As for exactly how this tool should operate, I'm fairly open to a lot of implementations.  I don't know the inner working of GIMP, so I don't know what methods would be the easiest to create.  (And I am asking for this as a favor, after all.)

I could accept a tool that would convert a whole image (or whole layer) into 15-bit color.  Perhaps a script that separates the channels, converts each of those channels to a 32 color palette set to the correct multiple-of-eight values, (convert to an index of 32 values won't work right,) and then recombines them into a single image again.
I could accept a tool that goes through the colormap and converts each index to a a 15-bit color.  I don't commonly work within the indexed mode, but it is no hassle to convert to it just to get the colors correct.
I could accept a new layer mode that converts the colors to be 15-bit even though it would only change how it is displayed.  Actually that would be really useful for quickly making tests and iterations.  (Honestly the layer modes could stand to get some overhauls anyway; I've seen a number of pixel artists use photoshop because there they can set up layers to convert their art to custom stepped gradients, allowing them to use painting tools but still convert their images into a proper palette.)
I could even take a tool that just converts my currently selected foreground/background colors into 15-bit, if that's a thing.  It may take a little bit of time for me to go through all of the colors I am using, but it is still worlds faster than manually tweaking each color by checking its values one at a time.

Or if there is some other method that would make more sense to whoever would be doing me the favor of creating this tool, I probably could accept that too.  I just want to be able to convert the colors I am using into 15-bit.

Messages In This Thread
Would someone be willing to make this plug-in for me? 15-bit color - by Marscaleb - 10-26-2017, 05:17 PM