Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programmatic XCF text layer editing
(02-12-2023, 02:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What you show is the script-fu console, not the python-fu one.

Thanks for further clarifying. I was able to scour:
• gimp-python_2.10.8-2_amd64.deb
• python-gobject-2_2.28.6-13+b1_amd64.deb
  and
• python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb.

But python-cairo is not anywhere to be found for bullseye, searches land on python3-cairo_1.16.2-4+b2_amd64.deb or python-cairo for Trusty and really old versions of Ubuntu/debian/whatever.

When I installed the packages above dpkg pukes saying that it's leaving them unconfigured because python 2.7 is not installed (but it is actually installed!!!).

If you don't mind, and in all frankness, an ambulance driver can save more lives if he doesn't have to also become a car mechanic. Sure, an ambulance driver shouldn't have to limit himself and with enough determination he could become an astronaut but for all intents and purposes, he'll be more valuable to society if we give him the fish so he could have a quick lunch and so that he could keep working as an ambulance driver rescuing people rather than if we gave him a fishing rod. Can I please give you back the fishing rod and beg you for a download link that leads to an actual file and could you please list a series of easy steps that I can blindly follow to get this thing resolved?
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux e6420MX 5.19.0-4.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC liquorix 5.19-5~mx21+1 (2022-08-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

My scope of  expertise comes from a completely different and unrelated field, I'm in my mid 50's and my only shot at coding is ChatGPT because it codes for me and I do what I can to keep it on track as it has plenty of limitations. It often "forgets" what steps we have already tried and goes in circles. My little background in programming is Visual Basic 5 and it was at hobby level at best. Not trying to make excuses but otherwise, other than being a regular Linux user, I do not even understand well how the entire inter dependency of packages work.

I can still run and install 32 bit apps compiled in Windows 98 in Windows 11 of all OSs but I am in disbelief that in Debian, some bright minds decided to deprecate and hide these older packages in the new distros even though the new versions of these packages aren't a fit replacement for the old ones. Burying by that the efforts of so many plugin developers in a single update. WTF?

Going back to a possible solution: I have already installed python 2.7. Is there an Appimage that might have python-gimp in it? I don't care about the healing plugin or whatever that is. I'd like to avoid to switch to Buster or older just to get this resolved.

At this stage in life I am in a quest to close cycles already open rather than opening an infinite set of new learning threads for "the sake of learning". I work everyday of the week to keep a roof over my head yet wasted my entire weekend "learning" deciphering this gimp-python thing. I'm grateful for the tire that's being thrown at me while drowning in the water, those efforts to save my life would succeed under the assumption that I can swim though. Any chance someone can come on a boat before I drown instead? I mean, most of what I'm reading here is long and above my immediate scope of understanding. Can we please put aside the "teach a man to fish and you fed him for the rest of his life" approach and give this ambulance driver some fish instead so he can quickly focus his efforts in his rescue operation?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programmatic XCF text layer editing - by Anthony Buff - 02-13-2023, 05:01 PM