Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hexagonal grids - GIMP python plug-in
(03-28-2023, 01:48 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(03-27-2023, 02:05 PM)Krikor Wrote: Something I already needed a few months ago, a hexagonal grid.

But what I really wanted was to be able to create custom isometric grids using The Gimp. I always do this manually, but a plugin would save me a lot of time.

Thanks for the plugin and the plugin suggestion.

How do you do your isometric grid? Please tell me that you are not following DMD...
I usually do it like this (for quick reference)  Filters > Distort > Mosaic , then rotate layer 90 degree (Layer >Transform > Rotate 90 > Done)

And G'MIC allows for a lot more custom to distort your grid and get these special angles Wink

For a path shaped grid like this...

Here you go

Unzip/extract the python file, put it in your Plugins folder, restart GIMP because it's a python, and It will be in Filters > Render > Paths > Shape Grid... Wink
Edit: I just see that's an Ofnuts script while looking inside the code, I might have changed the path in GIMP's menu long ago Big Grin

PixLab,

I remember watching DMD's video a long time ago, but I don't remember what process he used in the video anymore.

In fact, I don't even remember exactly how I made my isometric grids in Gimp at the time.

I remember that one of the techniques I used was basically using the inbetweener plugin (I think that's how it's spelled - too lazy to go check it out) from Ofnuts.

I create a path, rotate it by 30º and duplicate it.
I calculate the exact point at which each path should be far from one another and knowing how many paths there should be between them, I use the Inbetweener plugin to generate the intermediate paths.
Then I group these paths, duplicate them, flip vertically, etc.
Definitely not the best or easiest way to create these grids... but it worked.

The good thing about this is that I only had to do this once, so I saved it as xcf and used it whenever I needed to create a new one. (attached)

Yesterday, when reading post #1, I went looking for the path-shaped-grid plugin, and I tried to download it... but I couldn't!
It turns out that I already had this plugin (since March 2020) and I didn't even remember, it was only when I read the message about overwriting the plugin that I realized my mistake.

Playing around with the plugin I soon discovered that setting Shape = Triangular; Size = 70; Direction = Vertical basically produced what I wanted!

I would never imagine using the Mosaic filter to get an isometric grid, at least I never tried it. Undoubtedly an interesting option.

G'MIC is an option that I use less and less, so I have little familiarity with the millions of filters in it. Basically, I almost always use the same filters (some dozens of them).
The Grid[Triangular] filter is another nice option, too bad it doesn't generate a path, nor does it give you the option of the desired thickness.

With Gimp I use the isometric grid as a reference, to facilitate the positioning of the arts. But it's with Inkscape that I really work on creating the elements on the isometric plane.

Thanks for the super tips!

Attached Files
.xcf   Isometric70Paths.xcf (Size: 35.95 KB / Downloads: 68)
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hexagonal grids - GIMP python plug-in - by Krikor - 03-28-2023, 12:49 PM