Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter Animation bleeds at edges (flames)
(08-21-2023, 12:23 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It might be this:

1. Is your png image, it is RGBA, nothing wrong with it.

2. If it is converted to an indexed image, typically a gif (but can be a png) then alpha < 50% is thrown away alpha > 50% is solid.

3. The work-around for that is 'dithering' there is a setting in the gif export dialog and that is the effect. It works reasonably in an animation. Make sure the disposal is set to one-frame-per-layer-replace rather than one-frame-per-layer-combine.

If you are using the original png's for an animated webp there should be no problem. See what other replies come up.

Much better!!! Instead of trying an animation, I just imported the series of PNGs (in order by name this time) as layers, and exported as WEBP. I tried a few settings, and ended up using lossy, as animation, 50 ms delay, apply settings to all frames. Ended up turning 32 PNGs 400x400 into a 1 MB file... and it loops smoothly and shows the wispy flames at the edges.

https://app.box.com/s/85vuu4h99lzv354nqkaqpc1lckk751nd

Thanks for the tips!

(08-21-2023, 05:22 PM)PixLab Wrote: Why GIF is still a thing, it's a mystery to me, but I thing it's because up to last year, Photoshop did not export to webp , and it seems they do not export as animated webp yet as seen on their export dialog here > https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/sup...ormat.html

. . .

Webp also uses 8 bits for alpha channel and supports 0~255 levels of opacity...
Do I continue?  Big Grin

Thanks Patrice! Big Grin 

Your comments also inspired me to just try to go directly from the PNG series to a WEBP, and it worked fantastically!

I was using the (very fun) particle engine tool from about 10 years ago since I had it on hand, and it hasn't really had many updates. It can ouput sprite, sheet, gif or png series.

Yes, I really like the newer formats!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Filter Animation bleeds at edges (flames) - by Vision9000 - 08-21-2023, 10:31 PM