Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing problem with Paintbrush, Pencil & Eraser leaving a trail of multi-shaded over
Thanks so very much, Ofnuts, for your reply and clarification therein.

My apologies if I offended anyone with my complaints on a part of the user interface or otherwise in Gimp. I guess I just felt compelled to express my frustration a little bit. I know in other places in this forum people have suggested an on/off switch for Dynamics because it is not obvious (I discovered these suggestions in my researching Dynamics after Rich's advice).

I agree, there are buttons to reset application settings, which is wonderful that Gimp provides, though I don't see any specifically for Dynamics like the other settings, and don't see an obvious one resetting the entire application. But, as you mentioned, I may not want to wipe out all asset settings I've established over time.

I agree that with doing a simple update of any application, including Gimp, you want to maintain all currrent settings, since you are only upgrading to a new version of the software. This is, in my opinion, a vital feature for all applications, including in Windows (though adhering to that *requirement* in Windows by developers is sketchy, as you mention). However, there is a difference between upgrading and unintalling/reinstalling. With the latter, the expectation is that all aspects of the app are removed upon uninstallation, and the reinstallation is like the software is installed for the first time on this computer. Now, I will admit that my understanding of macOS is very dated, since I haven't actually created (programmed) any applications on the Mac since Classic Mac days near the beginning, in the 1980s, lol. At that time, all data were stored in the resource/data fork of the executable itself. Since "uninstalling" an app on a modern Mac is "supposedly" done (advertised as such, even by Apple) by simply moving the app into the Trash, I assumed this was still the case. But I know I've run across the application data folders in the user ~/Library folder, but totally forgot about this in my rant--my rant to myself and to this community (doh!).

With Windows, an app's data is all over the place, including the insane Registry, so Uninstall requires a program (software that needs to be executed by the operating system) to carry it out. But of course I'm wrong about modern Mac OSX, because it needs that too, since clearly my uninstalling by just deleting the app itself and then reinstalling left Gimp's Dynamic settings intact, because that did nothing with the data files in the various ~/Library subfolders, or the various cache files and other hidden files all over the place. So it left me totally befuddled as to what was going on with my brush. My apologies for my ignorance and lack of mindfulness, since this issue just has never come up for me yet in the 8 years owning a Mac. I now understand that like in Windows, on a Mac you need to run some kind of uninstaller, except it's actually shockingly NOT as well built into macOS like it is in Windows! By the way, I haven't today actually found a native Gimp Uninstaller, not for the Mac anyway (maybe I should officially suggest that). So I would have had to have used some other third party "cleaner" to fully uninstall Gimp. Oh well, you learn something new everyday, as the cliche goes.

Thanks for your feedback, and thank you for all your work on Gimp. It truly is a remarkable application provided as Open Source and free!

All the best,
Gary

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drawing problem with Paintbrush, Pencil & Eraser leaving a trail of multi-shaded over - by garysch37 - 09-05-2023, 09:25 PM