Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Image Dialog Location Field Slashes
(12-06-2023, 12:47 PM)Punchcard Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 11:33 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Oh... yeah, they did it a little bit to be illegible for the US gov, now I understand your "if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant"  Big Grin
And I suppose it's the bare minimum to keep their contracts with the government...

I think you meant "eligible", though "illegible" carries a certain relevance.
Anyhow, to move closer to the topic, forward slashes are better than backward slashes.  The forwards promote advancement and progress; the backwards impede.  Rolleyes The Open Image dialog ought to be hospitable to forward slashes.

Also, the backward slash is very awkward to type on AZERTY keyboards, and in code, you often have to double it.

The horror in the story is that in PC-DOS/MS-DOS 1.x,  command line arguments could start with either / or the Unix-like -. Then DOS 2.0 introduced directory trees and to avoid ambiguities with the / in arguments, they went with h the \ as a path separator and the /as a command prefix, dropping the - in the process. So with the right person at the right IBM-Microsoft meeting, we could have Unix-style path names in Windows.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open Image Dialog Location Field Slashes - by Ofnuts - 12-06-2023, 05:30 PM