Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a color mask to color a texture
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been using GIMP for various art projects for years now. 

I have a serious problem with a project, and I feel like a brainless idiot- I discovered a tutorial a couple days ago that solved my entire problem, but now I can't find the webpage anywhere, and I've forgotten the process I need to use to make this work.

See, I have a set of textures, one is a basically black and white texture for a character model, and the other is a color mask. The color mask is set up so that the game engine can color the character's texture in-game, and it has each color scheme section split into channels. 

What I need to do is use that color mask to select sections of the actual character texture, and colorize it. I'm not sure how to do this, can anyone help me figure it out?

One idea I had was to import the mask as a new layer into the model texture, select a color section, and move that selection onto the texture layer so that I can colorize it.

However, I don't know how to move a selection shape between layers. I just want to move the selection shape, not cut and paste the actual image. 

I'll link the two texture files Link to my sample images . 

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Using a color mask to color a texture - by kingfisher13 - 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM