Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice on Plugin Installation
Hello again,

I installed gimp-gmic only to find that the installation corrupted my Windows 10 copy of GIMP.  GIMP would open to a plugin, then when closing that plugin, GIMP could not open any image files, the following error message would display:

"Opening 'C:\Users\Chaplain Mark\Desktop\ALL G5X\IMG_0054.JPG' failed:

Unknown file type"

I could not find any instances of gimp-gmic to uninstall, so I ran System Restore, without success.

Recalling that Windows Defender had warned me against installing gimp-gmic, I then ran a virus scan which turned up negative.

I then uninstalled GIMP and reinstalled from the installer package living on my computer, only to find the new installation of GIMP could not open any image files, the same above error message would appear.

I then did a manual search for every instance of "GIMP" both in the Windows folder tree and in the Windows Registry, and manually deleted each instance found.  Then, I installed GIMP from a DVD to which I had copied the original installer, and now all is well, I have my GIMP back on my computer, alive and well.

Just a big FYI for y'all.....methinks I will not again attempt to mess with attempting to alter my GIMP...!!

Any feedback on what might have gone wrong, would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chaplain Mark

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need Advice on Plugin Installation - by Chaplain Mark - 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM