Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am a new GIMP user and I have so many questions!
(12-26-2016, 02:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: Hey Guys, 
First let me apologize for my extreme lack of experience. Someone showed me GIMP and now I really wanna get better at using it!

I know very littlt tbh...All I know are are the various tools in GIMP and how to create different texts. I also know a bit about filters and how to add stuff like a cloud/fog filter. 

Which is already somewhat more than many people...

(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: I had some questions. I wanna learn how to make sigs. Can someone explain (without just linking me to a tut at first) how a background is formed

Depends a lot on the background... very often a mix of blends and geometrical shapes

(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: and also how you can get like a render blended in to the background?

If the render is on its own transparent layer, you can just soften the edges:
  • Layer>Mask>Add layer mask and initialize to "Transfer alpha channel" (this allows you to edit the transparency). The mask will contain the shape of the render (in white) surrounded by black.
  • Then blur the mask a bit: Filter>Blur>Gaussian blur and blur by 2 or 3px
(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: Also is it possible to add a render to your GIMP doc and then resize it on your canvas? I can't seem to find out how to resize the render!

Yes: use the Scale tool ( Scale )

(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: Also how do I had a pac/render that is in front or behind my text in GIMP?

You stack the layers adequately in the Layers list. Layers behave like stacked pieces of glass/sheets of tracing paper with painted things on them. A layer is masked out by any opaque bits in the layers above it.

(12-26-2016, 02:16 AM)God Wrote: I definitely have tons of questions. Please understand that I am not someone who just understands through linking to a tut. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain how GIMP works and how you end up reaching different backgrounds that look cool and all.

Please help I am getting desperate!

Thanks
God

Oh by the way I figured out how to move an image around to be able to use the part I wanted
Your explanation was superb! Thanks so much! I understand what you're talking about for the most part now.
Also can you explain what the role is of brushes and fractals in making a background for a sig? I don't seem to understand them. If you're supposed to create a background with strokes of a brush then are you supposed to just move the brush around on the canvas till you're happy with your creation? or do you download a background or something and add to it with a brush? Also what does a fractal do and what is it really? 

thanks
God

Messages In This Thread
RE: I am a new GIMP user and I have so many questions! - by God - 12-26-2016, 06:52 PM