Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install GIMP for portable usage?
(03-05-2018, 09:43 AM)rich2005 Wrote: ...
You could look at the portableapps 2.8 installation and how it utilises the Gimp environmental variables to point to the installation.
I did look at the GIMPportable.ini file which gave me an idea.  It looks like portable GIMP is installed using a directory structure that deviates from the standard one and as a result lots of things have to be redefined.  In my case, the directory structure is the same as with a standard installation.  Therefore, I wrote a script for invoking GIMP that changed the standard Windows environment variables %LOCALAPPDATA% (as well as %APPDATA% for that matter) to reference a folder that I created near to the standard GIMP structure on my external drive.  However, this didn't work.  Makes it looks like GIMP hard-codes these values rather than using the variables supplied by Windows.  I can't think of a good reason for doing that but it would seem like a simple way to solve this problem if GIMP were to use these environment variables for there intended purpose.

Another plausible explanation is that my novice script writing ability hasn't yet figured out how to change them in way they are still in effect when GIMP is invoked.

I will look at the GIMPPortable.ini a little closer to see if I failed to recognize how it works.

Messages In This Thread
How to install GIMP for portable usage? - by ajax - 03-04-2018, 01:39 AM
RE: How to install GIMP for portable usage? - by ajax - 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM