Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error opening tif file created by GIMP
(05-03-2018, 04:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You need to give more information.
There are several compression formats for exporting to a tiff file. Which one are you using? For Gimp 2.10 - what parameters there? bit depth / colour profile.

Could not reproduce the problem from the original post Gimp 2.8 tiff does not fail in Gimp 2.10 using any of the compression modes.

Still can not reproduce the problem. Gimp 2.8 xcf -> Gimp 2.10 tiff (all compression options) which open without error.

Using linux Gimp 2.10 flatpak
I do get pairs of files of the form filename.tiff / filename.tiff40 (various numbers depending on compression). One big file / one small file. Anyone any idea why? Something to do with metadata? The big tiff files open ok.

My problem file was exported using compression "None".  I'll do some more experiments tomorrow to see if I can more precisely define a use case.

However, something else I think occurred which surprised me.  When GIMP 2.8 exports files to various formats the metadata is lost.  However, GIMP 2.10 is exporting files that include the metadata from an original photograph.  Interestingly when I exported the tif file using GIMP 2.10 by opening the xcf file created by GIMP 2.8 it did include the metadata.  In that, GIMP 2.8 must save the metadata when it saves a file in xcf format.  This could turn out to be a good thing from my point of view.

Messages In This Thread
Error opening tif file created by GIMP - by ajax - 05-02-2018, 08:27 PM
RE: Error opening tif file created by GIMP - by ajax - 05-04-2018, 02:27 AM