Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp Python Fu Problems
(09-15-2018, 09:38 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What prevents you from gathering the data while building the dialog? Keep in mind  that each execution of the plugin is going to be a new process, so you cannot keep this across calls; each time the plugin is started, it has to go through that code again.

In any case you don't need a secondary procedure, if you want to keep the code distinct, it just has to be in a Python function.

It seems possible to run the PDB scan in the __main__  if you find a way to distinguish the registration execution from the plugin calls and avoid running the code in the first case. There lay be a way with the more explicit registration functions, but IMHO this is going to great lengths to do something which isn't such a good idea.

If your referring to the register function, when you ask what prevents me from gathering procedure names when building the dialog, I lack the knowledge about gimp and python to do such a thing. If your interested, could you fill some pot holes in my knowledge for me? If not, ignore the rest of this. As far as I can tell from testing, when gimp first loads it goes through all plugins and only calls functions which are written in the script such as Im_A_Function(). Because of this, from what I understand If I define a function and don't call it in the script, gimp wont run it. That being the case, I don't see why my code has any issues with unnecessary calls of functions. But what I am unsure of is that if I break a script up and place smaller portions of the code in different py files, would this be faster and considered proper technique for optimization? As for not having a second procedure, from attempting to access pdb outside of a registered function in my case my plugin always crashes, and so having a second file with pdb procedures in it seems impossible, am I misunderstanding something? Finally, it does seem what i'm attempting to do is complicated and difficult unfortunately, would you have recommendations for simpler ways of generating all procedure names? Sorry for long paragraph.

Messages In This Thread
Gimp Python Fu Problems - by ajs52698 - 09-15-2018, 01:25 AM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by Ofnuts - 09-15-2018, 07:39 AM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by ajs52698 - 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by Ofnuts - 09-15-2018, 08:12 PM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by ajs52698 - 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by Ofnuts - 09-15-2018, 09:38 PM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by ajs52698 - 09-16-2018, 06:54 PM
RE: Gimp Python Fu Problems - by Ofnuts - 09-16-2018, 08:03 PM