Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimalism versus Bloatware
(10-15-2016, 06:44 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: I recently cleaned up my Gimp...
...So what does your Gimp look like ? Is it bursting with extras or do you like it clean and minimal ?

I have to agree. It is worth looking at what is permanently installed with a view to pruning out the un-used.
Espermachine is an experienced user but for the average Gimp user, my thoughts.

A resources manager is worth installing, I use ofnuts resources manager plugin, which for new gimp users can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-too...s/scripts/ about 20 down, addonCollectionManager-0.3.py

My Gimp, a bit of a disgrace: all those unused scripts / fonts / brushes collected over the years, but they are there when required and not installed, which usually means a faster more reactive Gimp.  

Plug-ins are a different category, these are loaded when Gimp starts and can not be swapped in and out on-the-go.
Using Linux I handle these with permissions on/off but Windows users, move in and out of the plug-ins folder or maybe re-name to disable before starting Gimp.

Distilled from all the posts on various forums the main one for Windows users: 
Put fonts in the the Gimp profile fonts folder. Very easy to click on a font file and let Windows install into Windows fonts. Some times harder to get rid of it.

Messages In This Thread
Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Espermaschine - 10-15-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by rich2005 - 10-15-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 07:42 PM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Minimalism versus Bloatware - by Ofnuts - 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM