Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket fill is tinting my entire image
Quote:..Espermaschine in comment #11 reproduced the problem, so it’s not just me…?

What he actually said

Quote:I think i can reproduce the phenomena. Used a Threshold of 112 and apparently clicked on a grey that was close enough to the white.....followed by .....The problem with this image is that its either bad quality and all the variation in grey are artefacts

In a nutshell, garbage in ...garbage out

With that variation of mottled grey (looks like horrible jpeg artefacts) and the high threshold the bucket fill spreads to the white dots.
Max the threshold and it fills the whole image, as you would expect.
Use a lower threshold and white remains but so does some of the grey spectrum, as you would expect.

Quote:Do you have any idea what Rich was suggesting that I use instead of bucket fill to circumvent this problem?

Do not get fixated on using the same procedure (a straight bucket fill) for every image. You have been told the best procedure is constrain the area for the fill by using a selection.

There are always other ways, but not necessarily the most universal or the best. What might work for that particular image but not for all images.

1. A small Gaussian blur, followed by a bucket fill with a smaller threshold that you are using now. https://i.imgur.com/gHNO5Hv.jpg
2. Duplicate layer, Colour to Alpha, New from visible, followed by a bucket fill with a smaller threshold that you are using now. https://i.imgur.com/yTjN4Va.jpg
3....and so on, mode to indexed and edit the colormap, image with a layer mask, over a coloured layer...all sorts of ways.

The idea being, none are as easy as Select the white dots, Invert the selection, Fill.

This thread has become pointless. An exercise in Does not work the way I think so must be broken.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bucket fill is tinting my entire image - by rich2005 - 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM