Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isometric Maze and Gmic preview
(11-12-2018, 07:26 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: I dont get it. You say 'Linear Light', but its not the layermode, right ?

So this is some kind of 3D render. What does this has to do with the G'MIC Graphic Boost filter then ?
And why is the dungeon a from top view in the first image, but later something that looks like an isometric projection ??

I don't personally know what the 'Linear Light' layer mode is for.  I've tried it, but I don't understand what it is doing or why I would use it.  Same thing for 'Pin Light' layer mode.

Yes this is a 3d render.  Perhaps I should have said that in the post, but I thought it was very obvious.  Sorry for any confusion on that.  In a 3d render, I can set the camera for any angle or view, whether it is isometric or top-down perspective.  I can also create the light source(s) from any angle.  This is the real strength of 3d: It would take forever to draw something like this, and I would be stuck with the viewing angle and light direction(s).

This was done in Blender, which records the light values as they should be in the real world, linearly, not gamma corrected.  So when I load the render into Gimp 2.10 in linear light color space (NOT sRGB) I get accurate lighting adjustments when I do something like levels adjustment.  sRBG mode puts a gamma correction on the image, totally screwing up the results and things blow out or get too dark.  I could not really do this in 2.8 with the same results.

G'Mic, or at least the GTK version, shows the previews in a raw linear mode, so G'mic previews are useless.  The 'Graphic Boost' filter is not the point here, because all of the filter previews appear too dark, and I did not use any G'mic filters, although I wanted to.

To sum this up, we don't see light as it really is, so working in linear light color space makes the computer adjust light values correctly, although at the very end it puts a gamma correction after the adjustment, but not in the calculations.  That's if I understand correctly.  It is a confusing subject, but in this test I did get what I expected.

Messages In This Thread
Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-12-2018, 02:56 AM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-13-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by shark0r - 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-17-2018, 10:01 PM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by rich2005 - 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by Ofnuts - 11-18-2018, 01:56 PM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by rich2005 - 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by shark0r - 11-19-2018, 12:55 AM
RE: Isometric Maze and Gmic preview - by mholder - 11-19-2018, 01:26 AM