Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ideas for how to improve my art
Hello gimp artists!

so I have done some artwork for a record, i'm trying to go with an idea of something old, worn, vintage, like a leaflet or book that has been aged a bit, like you'd see with childrens books that have a card cover and the print is starting to wear off, or the corners are becoming dog eared and there is folds across the front like on information leaflets, if you could imagine an old vinyl sleeve that is a little bit like the look I am going for as it's similar material, but in terms of the design i'm thinking something that reminds me a bit of library books, information leaflets (panthlets), educational information and nature.

so far I have managed to create my own method which is by finding an image of a tatty book online then changing it to greyscale, then using posterize and then adjusting the contrast and brightness. this will then highlight the edges and parts which are white which is usually all the damaged parts, I then colour select and delete the darker colours. this creates a basic template for me to overlay onto the main image. from here I can combine more layers with different levels of opacity to create a bit of a gradual degradation effect, using the layer with the lowest transparency to represent the highlights. this helps make it look older, but the image still doesn't look finished? looking at the text and the background photo's I am using I am thinking it needs something else to tie it all together? some other type of filter effect maybe? here are some examples
https://i.imgur.com/bvzV83a.png

and here is a basic draft of the album, its currently subject to change on the details.
https://i.imgur.com/npqLkQL.png

as you can see the text is quite sharp and looks a bit like its been generated on a computer, I think I have the right fonts for something that looks right for the age etc. and I think the images are ok, I took photos and then did some post processing/double exposure work on these. I can't really find any specific tutorials that give any tips on what else I need to do other than grunge filters (which I already know about). I also asked on the reddit sub for photoshop (as it seems to be the biggest board for image editing?) as I was running out of ideas for where to ask... and was curious to see if anyone using that program would know of any secrets for getting it to look the way I described and I could just go off the leads they mention and try to do the same in gimp? but this proved to be largely unhelpful as no one was willing to divulge their techniques or give me any information more than what I knew. if anyone has any ideas, I am all ears! if you would like to hear what the album sounds like I have a promo stream and can post it here if that helps.

Messages In This Thread
ideas for how to improve my art - by musicandart2080 - 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM
RE: ideas for how to improve my art - by rich2005 - 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM