Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to GIMP - Some basic questions. v2.10
Quote:..1.) Is there no shapes or arrows built-in like there is for Windows Paint?...

You are not going to get far with Gimp if you are expecting some sort of click-n-wish-dumbed-down application. I cannot think of any advanced graphics editor that does not have a learning curve. Gimp has a steep learning curve.

Ways to make arrows in Gimp (apart from just drawing them in) As Blighty wrote, ways include brushes or using a script or plugin.

This an all-in-one screenshot. A script: arrow-set-size.scm that uses a path to define the shape. A plugin arrowdesigner-0.5.py that uses a bounding selection and current brush/colour. Brushes (dozens if you search) a black outline and a grayscale that takes the FG colour. Use brushes like a stamp, the snag, if scaled up they become fuzzy, same as any raster graphic.

[Image: KOUOjQG.jpg]

Attached a starter bundle containing those resources. Unzip and;
scripts go in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts - Plugin location: Tools menu
plugins go in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins - Plugin location: Files -> Render
brushes go in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes - find in the brushes dock.

Quote:..I don't know what version of GIMP you're using, but I'm using version 2.10.10 and when I go to Edit > Preferences > Folders, there's no "Fonts" folder there. There's only "Temporary folder" and "Swap folder"

Expanding on Ofnuts screenshot, You do not have anything like this? That shows where to install resources.
No Roaming showing see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10

[Image: KHUnGRb.jpg]

If not there, then your Gimp installation is screwed up. First step is delete C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP Start Gimp and let it create a new default Gimp profile. Check for the folders again.

Truthfully, I am a linux user and find Windows font handling a bit of a mystery. You can delete a font in Windows and find it still there. Gimp has linux origins and fonts for use in Gimp are best put in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\fonts, however I tried either of the .ttf and .otf in the zip from dafont and they work here, in a Win10/Gimp 2.10.10 VM

[Image: iINN8hR.jpg]

It might help if you give the Windows version: Win 7 / 10 and 32 bit / 64 bit.

Attached Files
.zip   arrows.zip (Size: 18.88 KB / Downloads: 134)

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to GIMP - Some basic questions. v2.10 - by rich2005 - 04-11-2019, 09:49 AM