Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to GIMP - Some basic questions. v2.10
Hey Fennec, I so get your frustration. I've dabbled with GIMP off and on almost since its inception, but only switched from Photoshop a few months ago when my ancient version of Photoshop failed to load on a new computer. I started with the Corel Suite at least twenty years ago, mastered that, then spent agonizing weeks switching to Photoshop. This switch to GIMP has been equally frustrating. It's both a blessing and a curse to know what should be possible and not find the way to do it.

I'm here to assure you that it IS possible, but it WILL take time. If you want quick and dirty and elegantly simple app for cropping, resizing, and adding text, simple arrows and such, check out IrfanView. It's another free app for the Windows platform that's my default image viewer and quick resizer tool. With its extensive collection of free plug-ins, it's got an amazing array of tools and flexibility, though it lacks the degree of control and high-end results you get with GIMP.

GIMP is a bitmap based app, but its vector-based path tool is equivalent to or better than any other raster program I've used, and I've tried quite a list.

Take a deep breath, stay calm, and notice how respectful and supportive the folks on this forum are. In the beginning, a few hours with YouTube will also be a good investment of time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to GIMP - Some basic questions. v2.10 - by Ritergeek - 04-19-2019, 02:13 PM