Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project is in inches and saving at wrong size!
(08-25-2019, 10:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In Gimp (and other bitmap editors), the only thing that matters is pixels.  When you see inches, you are just seeing the interpretation of pixels with a given "definition" in pixels per inch (as displayed/st in Image>Print size and in the image creation dialog).

If you save the image as XCF, or export it as JPG and PNG, this definition is saved in the file, so the size in inches when you reload should stay the same. There is no such feature in the GIF format, the image definition is lost.

It is otherwise true that the units in the rulers is a property of the view and not of the image. You set this with the small indicator at the bottom of the image window (marked 7 in the screen shots here). You can do View>New view to have two views on the image, one with  the rulers in inches and one with the rulers in pixels. This settings also acts in the displays of the Measure tool.

what? i am saving as ping, and the image is 11x8.5 created that size whether in pixels or inches it should remain that size.  It is ending up half that size?  lol no inches matter as a creator.. =).   Yes i understand that its an interpretation.   

So do you think there is something wrong with my copy of gimp? I had some challenges when it locked up and crashed.  I copied all my files, er brushes etc so if i needed to reinstall it again i wouldnt loose all that.  while snooping in the gimp files i saw some programs, cant rem what they were called now, that seemed they could analyze gimp and perhaps get it running again.  I ran them a couple times.. and started gimp again, and yes gimp made it back open.  yay!  I have no idea why gimp crashed so badly, i just kept trying to start it hoping it would find the correct info. after i ran those programs it worked. 

thank you

Messages In This Thread
RE: new project is in inches and saving at wrong size! - by Human3 - 08-26-2019, 12:13 AM