Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to edit only alpha channel?
(07-26-2023, 03:06 PM)bunzler Wrote: Thank you for helping! Smile

I did disable the layer mask and by doing so I was seeing the fully opaque sticker.
Dumb Question/Annotation: When I export the image with a deactivated layer mask the information of the layer mask is not transferred with it, right?
Right

(07-26-2023, 03:06 PM)bunzler Wrote: To give one more input, please take a look at how stickers scrape in CSGO:

In the video the stickers are fully opaque. When you scrape them, they were off in a certain way according to the information in the alpha channel.
I edited the alpha channel values to my liking but the image (the sticker) logically becomes transparent and when I export the sticker, it stays that way (transparent).

Because this is a non-standard/non-conventional use of the alpha channel... The alpha channel is designed to show transparency, period. There are apps that use it for other purposes (such as reflectivity, for game textures, and here, as an alternate grayscale image...), but image viewers (and Gimp) show it as is is intended to be used.

And its not because an image viewer shows you transparency that the image won't work with another app that uses it for a different purpose. Viewing the image doesn't change the data...

I use PVC cutting boards as light diffusers when I do macro-photography because they are very cheap and common. Sometimes their optical quality isn't that good, but I won't write a complaint letter for this since it wasn't part of the design objectives. And in any case, I can still use them in the kitchen afterwards, using them for photography doesn't alter them.

Messages In This Thread
How to edit only alpha channel? - by oehqoehfo - 12-16-2019, 05:17 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by denzjos - 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by Blighty - 12-16-2019, 08:46 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by bunzler - 07-26-2023, 02:15 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by Ofnuts - 07-26-2023, 02:39 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by bunzler - 07-26-2023, 03:06 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by Ofnuts - 07-26-2023, 07:46 PM
RE: How to edit only alpha channel? - by PixLab - 07-27-2023, 04:14 AM