Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Brush Edge Transparency Artefacts
Wink 
(03-20-2020, 11:52 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I can see the problem, very easy to get odd coloured edge artifacts from the anti-aliased pixels.  
You might have to start again Wink   A bit of experiment and my best effort. I would suggest making a larger brush, better to size down when you paint, rather than up.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply rich2005.  Big Grin

I went through the procedure you mentioned but somehow I am still getting the artefacts. I did make in a larger size as you suggested and I can see the anti aliasing is very smooth and uniform.

I also made a second version of the the brush by not locking the alpha and filling all pixels of the numbers with their colour, such that there is no anti aliasing and they are solid. Strangely I also see artefacts on the edges (somewhat random black edges that vary between strokes of the brush) when using this brush too.

I also upgraded by Gimp from 2.10.12 to 2.10.18 but no change.

I attached my xcf file in which I made the brushes (I couldn't upload the brushes themselves because the forum is blocking the file type).

However, I am seeing this behaviour if I simply make a layer with one number over transparency and copy that to clipboard making it the temporary brush. Just select that brush to paint with it and those artefacts are there. I roughly understand how downsampling/upsampling can effect the granularity of the image but I cannot see why it would be affecting the colour (introducing blackness), and it is happening even when using the brush at normal scale anyway.   Angry

What's got my head spinning now is that this could effect any brush...   Confused

Attached Files
.xcf   numbers.xcf (Size: 57.55 KB / Downloads: 106)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Custom Brush Edge Transparency Artefacts - by PigletPants - 03-21-2020, 01:21 AM