Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop Canvas?
(04-02-2020, 10:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The crop tool is really about changing the size of things, not the view. Changing the canvas size has other limitations (positions of guides, selection clipping...). What you want is some kind of porthole. IMHO this could be some kind of display filter (View>Display filters) that dims the image outside of some settable rectangle.

In the mean time you can use two pairs of guides to delimit a rectangle in your canvas. They will even make it easier to crop later.

Thanks for the insights Ofnuts.

I didn't think there would be any difference in changing the canvas size with a tool, than simply changing it though the usual interface. (Other than having more controls) 

The beauty of using the crop tool is that all the ratios are already saved as presets. I have ratios like 200:37, 500:713, 17:25, 1:1.5, 10:3, etc.. Being able to drag the crop tool outline over an image really helps to see all the options of the composition. It's just that if you finish the crop, you lose the power to adjust the image around. 

My solution for now has been to open an image, then scale the canvas to the exact dimensions of the finished image. Then I can use the scale or unified transform tools to compose the layer/s into the viewport. It works ok, but it would be so much easier to compose the other way. I would much rather work at the full image resolution and scale down at the end once everything is composed.

The crop tool already has all the options built in with having presets, and masking. I just thought it might be the easiest way to get there, but it's never that easy. :/
Thanks again. It gave me more to think about.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-02-2020, 09:49 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by Ofnuts - 04-02-2020, 10:11 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-02-2020, 10:48 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by ChameleonScales - 08-28-2020, 01:37 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 08-28-2020, 08:56 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by akovia - 04-04-2020, 09:28 PM
RE: Crop Canvas? - by rich2005 - 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM